Ryan Lanier, PhD
Director, Clinical Development and Abuse Liability
Utilizing extensive clinical and nonclinical research experience to strategically guide the development of new CNS-active drugs
Drawing on his deep understanding of nonclinical and clinical research in the development and postmarketing evaluation of CNS-active drugs, Ryan supports clients with expertise in:
- Clinical development plans
- Assessment of abuse-related adverse events in clinical trials
- Regulatory strategy
- Clinical trial design and implementation
- Evaluation and interpretation of clinical trial results
For the past 20 years, including more than a decade in the pharmaceutical, cannabinoid, and dietary supplement industries, Ryan’s nonclinical and clinical research has supported the development of a range of compound classes ranging from analgesics and anti-inflammatories to CNS-active dietary supplements, modified non-combustible tobacco products, and cannabinoid-based medicines and novel formulations.
Following positions at Javelin Pharmaceuticals, Inc., and Rock Creek Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Ryan led the consulting team at Analgesic Solutions, Inc., where he spearheaded the validation and implementation of MADDERS®, a novel standardized system for prospectively identifying and assessing potentially abuse-related AEs in clinical trials.
Prior to joining Pinney Associates in 2021, Ryan counseled AusCann Group Holdings, Ltd., and served as Associate Director for Pain and Abuse Liability for Spectrum Therapeutics, a division of Canopy Growth Corporation, working on early clinical development of cannabinoid-based medicines and novel cannabinoid formulations, assessments of market opportunities, and development plans for new products.
Ryan has authored or co-authored more than 30 papers and book chapters on topics such as drug development and abuse potential, and has presented his research findings at numerous scientific meetings.
- Postdoctoral research fellowship, Behavioral Pharmacology Research Unit, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- PhD, Biological Psychology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- BA with distinction, Biology; B.A. with distinction, Psychology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill